On 19th January,2020 AWS representatives from Genese were invited as mentors in Yantra Learning, which is a platform that encourages interdisciplinary cross-pollination among creative and technical field, with prime focus on learning and exchange.
The Objectives of the event were as follows:
- Implementing and developing Science, Technology and Innovation to maximize National Production capacity through Robotics and Automation.
- Pushing innovation and entrepreneurship based on emerging technologies of Nepal.
- Building Globally competent manpower in Robotics and Automation.
- Providing International exposure to National Robotics and Tech enthusiasts.
- Promoting Robotics & AI as a problem solving tools.
- Encouraging the practice of Science and technology all over Nepal.
There were five major programs under the umbrella of Yantra 8.0 and they are as follows:
- International Robotics Competition
- RoboBusiness Cup
- Yantra Learning
- Science, Technology and Innovation Exhibition
- Yantra Incubation
- Mini-Yantra Events
- Yantra School
- Yantra Opening and Closing events
Under these, Genese contributed to the Yantra Learning program. Prabhat Chalise and Sunit Khadgi, our AWS developers gave a workshop on Amazon SageMaker. In that 3-hour workshop, the basics of cloud computing was covered with practical sessions on Amazon SageMaker, which is a cloud machine learning platform.
All in all, the attendees found the session very informative and useful since a lot of them were already working on machine learning. One even shared a story where he burned the laptop running a training job overnight, which would not have been the case if Amazon SageMaker was used. Overall, the attendees were very happy to have learned this subject and were expressing curiosity about learning on it furthermore.